Another week has flown by. Still, I did make time to sew and even finished something!
My first EPP project was 2″ diamonds, pieced into a tumbling blocks design. I used three shades of blue, a light, medium and dark. I had vague intentions of a wall hanging, but after I finished piecing it all, I realized I didn’t like the shades of blue I used enough to hang it on my wall. It sat around for a few months waiting for me to hand quilt it and figure out what to do with it until one day I decided I should just machine quilt it, make it into a pillow and be done with it.
So, one day a while back, I machine quilted it. I didn’t do a very good job. I didn’t take the time to adjust the tension properly and wasn’t happy with the way it looked. Back to the pile it went. After all the time I spent hand stitching those diamonds, I wanted it to look great.
Fast forward to this past weekend when I realized I’ve barely made any progress in finishing some of the projects I’ve started and put aside. Like everyone else, I have valid reasons for not being able to finish some things, but lately it’s getting out of hand! With that in mind, I decided to just accept the way the quilting looks and finish it. I found a 20″ pillow form in my basement from a coupon sale at Joann’s and got to work.
After adding borders and running a quick line of stitching through them to hold it all together, I measured the back, added several inches and cut it in half to make the pillow’s envelope back (I want to be able to remove the pillow). For each piece, I folded one edge over 1/4″, pressed and folded over 1/4″ again and topstitched it down. Then I pinned each piece to the front, right sides together, stitched it all and turned it right side out. A quick press and I inserted the pillow form and there it was – and I’m happy with it. Not perfect, but finished. And we really do need some throw pillows. It won’t live on this sofa, but since I’d been sewing, and not cleaning, this was the nicest surface available to take a photo!
I continued to make progress on my star blocks while commuting this week. I finished this pink and red one on the train coming home tonight and will add the white diamonds later this week.
I didn’t have time this weekend to lay out my completed star blocks, but did take a few minutes to group them by color and add them all up.
I now have 40 finished blocks. Yay! And once I add the white diamonds to that red one on top, I’ll have 41! Now I really have to focus on how I want to finish this. I will need partial blocks in various colors to complete it. Oh well, I’ll think about that tomorrow. For now, I’m linking up with Life Under Quilts for the Monday star count. Lots of EPP!
Have a great week!